Spring has sprung! And with warmer weather coming, many people are more inclined to have salads for lunch. So try this lovely recipe. Make big batch for easy lunches during the working week.
½ cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
⅓ cup raw macadamia nuts or almonds
1 medium raw beetroot, peeled
1 medium-to-large carrot (or 1 additional medium beet), peeled
2 cups packed baby spinach or arugula, roughly chopped
1 avocado, cubed
Small bunch fresh mint or coriander, roughly chopped
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
½ lime, juiced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
Pinch salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Cook the quinoa according to the packet instructions. Remove the quinoa from heat and let it rest, still covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff the quinoa with a fork and set it aside to cool.
- Toast the almonds or macadamias in a small frypan over medium heat, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes until they are fragrant and slightly golden. Transfer to a large serving bowl to cool.
- Peel the beetroot and carrot, and finely grate them.
- To prepare the dressing, whisk together all ingredients until combined.
- Assemble the salad in a large serving bowl. Combine the toasted almonds/macadamias, prepared beet(s) and/or carrot, roughly chopped spinach, mint/coriander, avocado and cooked quinoa.
- Drizzle the dressing over the mixture (you might not need all of it) and gently toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Optional to serve alongside an 80g fillet of grilled chicken
Recipe provided by Mollie Ryder, SCU Nutrition Student